16 killed as Boko Haram raids Yobe community

No fewer than 16 villagers, mostly youths, have been reportedly killed, while four persons sustained injuries after a fresh attack by Boko Haram fighters on Geidam LGA of Yobe State. It was gathered that the terrorists invaded Nguro Kayayya village on the outskirts of Geidam LGA at about 9:00 am on Monday when many residents […]

No fewer than 16 villagers, mostly youths, have been reportedly killed, while four persons sustained injuries after a fresh attack by Boko Haram fighters on Geidam LGA of Yobe State.

It was gathered that the terrorists invaded Nguro Kayayya village on the outskirts of Geidam LGA at about 9:00 am on Monday when many residents of the town were sleeping.

A source, who has relatives in the town, told our correspondent via a telephone call that he counted the corpses of 16 persons after the attack.

‘‘They attacked the town when most of the residents were sleeping. I went there to see by myself and I counted 16 corpses while four persons sustained injuries. They (victims) are receiving treatment at the Specialist Hospital in Geidam.”

‘I accept Appeal Court’s decision’, Yahaya Bello congratulates Natasha Akpoti

Bandits gun down policemen at Zamfara Checkpoint

He said the terrorists attacked the village after the residents, who are mostly farmers, refused to pay the tax imposed on them by the fighters.

‘‘Members of the community told me that they have been asked to pay taxes to the terrorists, but they failed to do so. That was why the town was attacked, forcing residents to flee to safe places in Geidam LGA,’’ he said.

Babagana Aisami Geidam, a human rights activist, told Daily Trust that so far 16 persons had been killed while three others sustained injuries, adding that one person was in a critical condition.

He said the deceased had been buried according to Islamic rites, saying military personnel had been mobilised to the affected village.

When contacted, the Assistant Director Public Relations Officer Operation Lafiya Dole Captain Muhammad Shehu, confirmed the incident saying the terrorists alleged that the villagers were given information to the troops who were flushing out from their hideout.

‘‘They (terrorists) attacked the villagers for alleging that they are helping us with useful information to flush them out.

”I cannot give you the accurate number of casualties, but all I knew is that military personnel have been deployed and normalcy has been restored,’’ he said.