Three arrested as police recover two stolen Nissan Navaras worth R1.5m en route to Beitbridge Border
Three suspects have been arrested and two stolen Nissan Navara bakkies worth a combined R1.5 million recovered during intelligence-driven anti-smuggling operations in Limpopo aimed at disrupting cross-border vehicle smuggling networks, police said.
The arrests were made during separate operations conducted on Sunday and Monday by the South African Police Service’s Provincial Tracking Team and Provincial Investigation Unit, working alongside private security and vehicle-tracking partners.
Police spokesperson Colonel Malesela Ledwaba said the first operation was launched after intelligence indicated that a Nissan Navara ProMax stolen in Springs, Gauteng, on August 1 was allegedly being transported to the Beitbridge Port of Entry for smuggling out of the country.
“Members established observation along the N1 South within the Westernburg policing precinct, where the vehicle was spotted travelling at high speed. The driver ignored police instructions to stop, prompting a high-speed pursuit,” Ledwaba said.
The vehicle was eventually intercepted and preliminary investigations confirmed that it had been reported stolen.
Two Malawian nationals, aged 36 and 40, were arrested. The recovered Nissan Navara ProMax is valued at approximately R900,000.
In a second operation on Monday, police acted on further intelligence regarding another stolen vehicle allegedly destined for the Beitbridge Port of Entry.
“Operational members maintained observation on the N1 South outside Polokwane, where a grey Nissan Navara was intercepted and stopped,” Ledwaba said.
Investigators later established that the vehicle had been reported stolen in the Alberton policing area in Gauteng on July 31.
A 34-year-old South African man was arrested in connection with the incident. The vehicle is valued at approximately R600,000.
Limpopo Provincial Commissioner Lieutenant General Jan Scheepers praised the multidisciplinary operation and collaboration between police and private-sector partners.
He said that the arrests and recoveries demonstrate the effectiveness of intelligence-led operations
He added that the successful operations “reaffirm SAPS’ commitment to dismantling criminal networks involved in vehicle theft and cross-border smuggling”.
The three suspects are expected to appear before the Polokwane Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.
“Police investigations are continuing,” Ledwaba said.
IOL News